Tuesday, January 04, 2005

2005. Good riddance to 2004.

2004 blew goat cock. I don't hold out much hope for 2005, either.

Still, I hope you all thought of a New Year's resolution - mine was to stop being such a cynical, pessimistic bastard, although if you ask the wife it'll be something boring like stopping smoking, annexing small countries, etc. I manage to project an aura of such negativity that my 6-monthly review has 'be less cynical' as one of its goals.

But why be cynical? After all, we have lots of jolly good fun, especially the lucky ones working over the festive period, whilst you were all tucking into your turkey on Christmas Day (R5-D3), and drinking yourselves daft on New Year's Eve (support droid #45). Indeed, we all enjoyed ourselves!

Or not.

Enough with the negatives, anyhow - how about two (recentish) comical moments:-

#1] You're my husband
"No, I'm not" was my reply, to a series of prank telephone calls we recieved whilst on a rather slow nightshift back in November. The calls went on for around 2 hours, and covered such enthralling subjects as "how tall are you?", "what do you look like?", and "how old are you?" (7ft 2ins, purple with yellow spots, and 237 years old, if you must know). This what you get for having an 0800 (toll-free for our non-UK readers) telephone number.

#2] Baubles do, in fact, break
As I found out, again on a nightshift (a recurring theme, I know). Kids, don't hit plastic baubles with sticks - they smash into a few hundred tiny pieces which you end up picking out of the carpet (or your feet) for the next four hours.

There'll be more, but they escape me right now.

So yes - in other news, I'm still doing tech support. I had what was more or less a 'guaranteed position' 6 weeks ago, which would have meant a return to being a sysadmin. This steadily went down the pan for reasons out of most people's control (think: company politics). Exploring other possibilities, but as per usual, I don't expect them to come to much.

1 Comments:

Blogger R5-D3 said...

"whilst you were all tucking into your turkey on Christmas Day (R5-D3)," ???

I was in work on a 7am-7pm shift!

Cheeky bastage... :)

5:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home